August 12, 2011
All week I have been enjoying fresh Ontario peaches in my smoothie – absolutely delicious!! Here is a super easy recipe that of course includes greens, green powder and a vegan protein powder (Shake and Go Smoothie Tropical) along with bananas (yum) and coconut water to keep me well hydrated
I’ve also been enjoying spinach in my smoothies, about 2 cups, spinach is sweet tasting and goes well with the banana and peaches. Coconut water is also nice and sweet, it comes in a tetra box and finally, is sold at the Super Store right across the street from my house. Coconut water is not coconut milk, the water is low in calories and high in electrolytes to keep muscles from cramping. The green supplement I have been using lately is spirulina, a single-cell algae that I purchase in powder form at Natural Food Pantry on Richmond Rd. Here are some spirulina facts:
- Spirulina is 65 to 71 percent complete protein, with all essential amino acids in perfect balance. In comparison, beef is only 22 percent protein.
- Spirulina has a photosynthetic conversion rate of 8 to 10 percent, compared to only 3 percent in such land-growing plants as soybeans.
- In addition, Spirulina is one of the few plant sources of vitamin B12, usually found only in animal tissues. A teaspoon of Spirulina supplies 21/2 times the Recommended Daily Allowance of vitamin B12 and contains over twice the amount of this vitamin found in an equivalent serving of liver.
- Spirulina also provides high concentrations of many other nutrients – amino acids, chelated minerals, pigmentations, rhamnose sugars (complex natural plant sugars), trace elements, enzymes – that are in an easily assimilable form.
This smoothie turns out bright green, but oh so sweet. Ok get blending!
Energizing Peach Smoothie
- I banana, fresh or frozen (I like frozen the best)
- 2 peaches (washed, sliced and stone removed)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 1/2 tsp spirulina powder
- 1 tbsp Vega Shake and Go Smoothie Tropical Flavour (this makes your smoothie sweet as can be!)
- 1 cup coconut water or more if you want a thinner consistancy smoothie
Blend until smooth, drink slowly and enjoy!